SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE:
- Use up things that may be difficult to move, such as frozen food.
- Get estimates from professional movers or from truck rental companies if you are moving yourself.
- Once you've selected a mover, discuss insurance, packing, loading and delivery, and the claims procedure.
- Sort through your possessions. Decide what you want to keep, what you want to sell and what you wish to donate to charity.
- Record serial numbers on electronic equipment, take photos (or video) of all your belongings and create an inventory list.
- Change your utilities, including phone, power and water, from your old address to your new address.
- Obtain a change of address packet from the post office and send to creditors, magazine subscription offices and catalog vendors.
- Discuss tax-deductible moving expenses with your accountant and begin keeping accurate records.